Monday 27 February 2012

Gutted! Guts and heroes!

Well I made my FIRST sale via my new ebay shop - woohoo!

Ok celebration over - I just received an email with pictures attached from my one and only, not so happy customer, showing my beautiful biscuit barrel in about 200 pieces. The pot was wrapped in more than an inch thick layer of bubble wrap inside a double walled corrugated box, with no room for movement. It had at least 10 fragile stickers all over it and yet it still looks like someone has taken a sledge hammer to it! From the damage it looks like something very heavy was dropped on top of it. What kind of idiot would drop something heavy onto a box clearly marked fragile?

I feel very demoralised! It's not easy trying to make your way forward with a small business like this when you're working full time and have two small kids. It makes me even more in awe of the people who've actually done it. It must take some guts to embark on a venture such as a pottery business. To actually leap off that precipice and flap like mad in the hope that you're going to fly - them folks have got guts! You must have to put to one side thoughts of what you might lose and think just about what you might gain. That's my trouble I think - I tend to worry about losing my footing on life's cliff face and go slipping back down to some lowlier position where I'll have to try twice as hard to get half as much.

I'm a gloomy sod aren't I?

4 comments:

  1. Oh dear, that is very sad indeed! Hope you had some insurance on it at least!

    your description of taking that leap is very accurate i think....and i guess being one of those that took the leap and have lived to tell the tale...i say go for it big time! when i began, 26 or so years ago, full of the dream of being a potter in the country, raising my family...i never imagined just how hard it would be! i did think it would be tricky...and it was...cos 23 years ago i was dealing with twin babies as well as trying to make a living!
    ok, i'll stop here....but nice to meet you, i'm of to check out your other blog entries!

    cheers Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linda,
      Thanks for all of your comments, they're very supportive, and it's good to hear from someone who's been in my situation.
      dave

      Delete
  2. Nah you're not gloomy at all really...you are just being wise, I think we all worry truthfully and your cliff analogy is very true indeed. It takes courage thou and a lot of it but I think you've got that..... and some x
    Wishing you all the best x
    Cat x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cat. This spring weather is really good for my moral - i think I was in a bit of a slump last week, but now I feel on the up again. Dave

      Delete